Tuesday 31 July 2012

Buy Local Norfolk

A bit more than a list of places to shop


Having spent a couple of days holiday in Sunny Suffolk I have had time to think a bit more about buying locally. The reason for the visit to my parents was to have some photos taken of my mum and dad with our children at a fantastic photographers in Felixstowe called Studio Bushfire. Upon reflection I think that Rob and I are a lot better at supporting local businesses than we give ourselves credit for - for most service items for both Scotts Field Pork and Artichoke we always chose a local supplier over a national one where possible and at home, food apart, the majority of our family spend whether it be meals out or new shoes is spent at local restaurants and shops.

The one big exception to this is I am the Amazon Queen! Trying to be a full time mum, running my own business as well as helping with Scotts Field Pork means that I have very little free time and the little I have I would prefer not to be pounding the streets looking for new computers, kids books or shop fittings...so I reach for my little helper - Amazon and it works every time!

My resolution is to wean myself away - I am sure I can find plenty of web based businesses that support the local economy if I look a little harder. This was proven to me last night when I was researching EPOS systems for Artichoke  - there is a business less than five miles away from our house that sells them online - something I would not have bothered to find out about if I had not signed up to @buylocalNorfolk.

A bit about Food

On the way back from boating on Thorpeness Mere this afternoon we stopped at Stuston Farm Shop near Diss for supplies - I have a sneaking suspicion they are in Suffolk rather than Norfolk but as they stock Scotts Field Pork they cant be all bad!

Jeremy has just won a local sausage making competition using  our pork with his pepper and mace sausage which we will be having for tea tomorrow. Also grabbed some beautiful locally grown strawberries & veg, locally made bread, and locally produced milk and cream spending no more than you would in a mid range supermarket. Although not on a main road the farm shop at Stuston is always busy and the fact that they offer great food at a reasonable price is probably why. 

....and convenience

We get most of our fuel at our local Whittington Garage which is situated on the A134 between Thetford and Kings Lynn. Whilst many local garages struggle this one is always busy so I thought I would have a quick chat with the owner Derick to find out the secret of his success which he says is convenience. Unlike many other garages he keeps the price of his fuel roughly in line with the supermarkets which means that locals like us are not tempted to drive the 20 or so miles to refuel at one and whilst we are at his garage buying fuel it is convenient for us to buy our lottery tickets, milk, beer etc. This local business is successful because it does what it says on the tin - it is a convenience store that also offers great service with a friendly smile.



2 comments:

  1. Hello Rob. This is a lovely blog, great work. I just wanted to inform you that B.B.Adams Group are now based in Hellesdon, Norwich and have no premises in Hockering. Perhaps you would be so kind to amend the post for us please. Metalfrog Studios Limited is responsible for digital marketing on behalf of the Group. Thanks a lot. Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris would be very happy to do so if I could find a reference to them in this blog - perhaps you saw something in another one - if so let me know which one and I will do so.

      Delete